0

Discussing political correctness and censorship on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast on Tuesday, legendary filmmaker Quentin Tarantino called the modern cancel culture mob “McCarthyesque.”

Start at 13:35

After Tarantino told Rogan how actor Chevy Chase was originally supposed to play the role of Otter in the classic film Animal House, Rogan suggested a wild movie like Animal House might not be acceptable by today’s standards.

“There’s a lot of those films that you try to watch today and you go, ‘Jesus, I don’t know if you could ever do this,'” Rogan said. “Like I just watched Superbad the other day and I’m like, ‘I don’t even know if you could do Superbad today,’ and that’s not that long ago.”

“I don’t believe in that kind of statement,” Tarantino replied. “Because, I think that statement is a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. If you say it’s going to be a problem, then it’s going to be a problem.”

He continued, “It usually comes with the idea of ‘I don’t know if they would let you do that.’ Well, who the fuck are they?”

Rogan noted that because Tarantino is already an established Hollywood director, he may not have to worry about “them” censoring his movies.

However, Tarantino explained that when he first started in 1991 people told him they wouldn’t let him make a movie like Reservoir Dogs.

“Well, I’m Quentin Tarantino in 1991 doing Reservoir Dogs coming off the 80s, which was the decade of, ‘They won’t let you do that,'” Quentin reminisced.

“And, by the way, we’re going through the 80s part two right now except there is more of a McCarthyesque blacklist aspect to it than was in the 80s. The 80s seemed… people were doing it to themselves, where here it’s, no, people are doing it to you.”

“McCarthyesque” refers to Senator Joseph McCarthy’s “Red Scare” where the U.S. government hunted down communists living in America in the early 1950s for prosecution.

Next, Tarantino described watching Pedro Almodóvar’s 1986 black comedy film Matador and telling friends he wanted to make similar outlandish movies.

“And then one of the guys said, ‘They won’t let you Quentin.’ And my answer was, ‘Well, who’s they? Who are they to tell me what I can and can’t do?’ And at the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding. I never let ‘they’ stop me. I did what I wanted to do and by doing what I wanted to do, we changed the 90s. The 90s stopped being politically correct,” Tarantino stated.

When will young Americans begin to push back against the politically correct mob and forge a new wave of anti-cancel culture arts?




source https://www.infowars.com/posts/quentin-tarantino-tells-joe-rogan-modern-censorship-mob-has-a-mccarthyesque-blacklist-aspect

Post a Comment

 
Top